Join the Under 2 MOU
Thank you for your interest in the Under 2 MOU.
Subnational governments are invited to join as Principal Signatories of the MOU.
Signatories in this category are states, provinces, regions, districts, cities, towns, municipalities, and other such subnational administrative divisions.
By signing the Subnational Global Climate Leadership MOU, a subnational jurisdiction is declaring its commitment to limiting its greenhouse gas emissions to below 2 metric tons per capita by 2050. Signatories are required to provide a brief appendix that outlines their specific greenhouse gas emission reduction policies and actions that are underway or planned.
Subnational jurisdictions are invited to join the MOU at any time. Signing ceremonies to recognize subnational government signatories will be held throughout the year. For the details of the signing ceremony for Founding Signatories that took place in Sacramento, California, on May 19, 2015, click here.
To sign on to the Under 2 MOU:
- Express your intent to sign the MOU in an email to Taryn Akiyama at Taryn.Akiyama@opr.ca.gov
- Submit a signature page that includes the name of your jurisdiction, name of the signatory, and title of the signatory.
- Prepare an appendix that sets forth your jurisdiction’s unique set of actions and plans for reaching your emissions reduction goals. Submission of the appendix prior to signing the MOU is strongly preferred.
National governments are invited to participate as Endorsing Partners of the MOU.
By way of its endorsement of the Subnational Global Climate Leadership MOU, a nation may indicate a range of intentions. For instance, a national endorsing partner could indicate its commitment to:
- Support subnational jurisdictions within its boundaries (including those who are signatories to the MOU) in their efforts to reach emissions targets;
- Encourage subnational jurisdictions within its boundaries to sign the MOU; and/or
- Limit national greenhouse gas emissions to below 2 metric tons per capita by 2050.
National endorsing partners are encouraged to provide a brief statement explaining their reasons for associating with the MOU.
National governments are invited to endorse the MOU at any time. A ceremony to recognize the endorsements of national partners may be organized later this year.
To endorse the Under 2 MOU:
- Express your intent to endorse the MOU in an email to Taryn Akiyama at Taryn.Akiyama@opr.ca.gov
- Submit a letter expressing your endorsement of the MOU, including a brief statement explaining your reasons for wishing to associate with the MOU. This should include the name of your jurisdiction, name of the endorser, title of the endorser, and a signature.