Join the Under2
Thank you for your interest in the Under2 MOU and in joining the Under2 Coalition.
Subnational governments are invited to join as Principal Signatories of the Under2 Coalition.
Signatories in this category are states, provinces, regions, districts, cities, towns, municipalities, and other such subnational administrative divisions.
By signing the Under2 MOU, a subnational jurisdiction is declaring its commitment to limiting its greenhouse gas emissions to below 2 metric tons per capita by 2050. Signatories are required to provide a brief appendix that outlines their specific greenhouse gas emission reduction policies and actions that are underway or planned.
Subnational jurisdictions are invited to join the Under2 Coalition at any time. Signing ceremonies to recognize subnational government signatories will be held throughout the year.
For the details of the signing ceremony for Founding Signatories that took place in Sacramento, California, on May 19, 2015, click here.
To sign on to the Under2 MOU:
- Express your intent to sign the Under2 MOU in an email to Taryn Akiyama at Taryn.Akiyama@opr.ca.gov
- Submit a signature page that includes the name of your jurisdiction, name of the signatory, and title of the signatory.
- Prepare an appendix that sets forth your jurisdiction’s unique set of actions and plans for reaching your emissions reduction goals. Submission of the appendix prior to signing is strongly preferred; however, will will allow jurisdictions more time to complete their appendix.
National governments are invited to participate as Endorsing Partners of the Under2 Coalition.
By way of its endorsement of the Subnational Global Climate Leadership MOU, a nation may indicate a range of intentions. For instance, a national endorsing partner could indicate its commitment to:
- Support subnational jurisdictions within its boundaries (including those who are signatories to the Under2) in their efforts to reach emissions targets;
- Encourage subnational jurisdictions within its boundaries to sign the Under2 MOU;
- Limit national greenhouse gas emissions to below 2 annual metric tons per capita by 2050; and/or
- Consider making a financial pledge to support the Under2 Coalition’s work.
National endorsing partners are encouraged to provide a brief statement explaining their reasons for associating with the Under2 Coalition.
National governments are invited to endorse the Under2 at any time. A ceremony to recognize the endorsements of national partners may be organized later this year.
To endorse the Under2:
- Express your intent to endorse the Under2 MOU in an email to Taryn Akiyama at Taryn.Akiyama@opr.ca.gov
- Submit a letter expressing your endorsement of the Under2 MOU, including a brief statement explaining your reasons for wishing to join. This should include the name of your jurisdiction, name of the endorser, title of the endorser, and a signature.